April 7, 2014 7:50 pm
Here are five key reasons why Golden Rice will not end world hunger:
- Golden rice is genetically modified in a lab and has never been proven safe for children’s health or for the environment.
- People do not have Vitamin A deficiency because rice contains too little Vitamin A, but because their diet has been reduced to eating rice and almost nothing else.
- Malnourished people are not able to absorb Vitamin A when it’s consumed entirely through rice, without other balanced fatty acids.
- The answer to both Vitamin A deficiency AND world hunger is to teach populations how to grow a more diverse diet using sustainable agriculture practices. Sweet potatoes, kale, carrots, squash and spinach all contain high levels of Vitamin A.
- Poverty and Distribution is the real root of world hunger—the world has a surplus of food, but people go hungry because they cannot afford to buy it.
Despite the PR spin about “feeding the world,” huge agriculture biotechnology corporations are not solving world hunger. If GMOs could solve World Hunger, and GMOs have been around for over 20 years, why does hunger still exist? Rather their goals is to control the staple crops of the world by locking countries into long-term contracts enforced by intellectual property and the use of their pesticides.